Introduce a little zen into your bedroom with our stunning Japanese platform bed: Akita.
Creating a sense of serenity in your home, especially your bedroom, can be key to getting a good night's sleep. Factors like room temperature, wall color, and darkness all play into how your brain winds down at the end of the day.
If you've been researching bedroom updates, meditation, or ways to make your bedroom feel more conducive to sleep, you've no doubt stumbled over the simplicity of Japanese beds!
Our Akita Platform Bed is the perfect Japanese style bed - the solution to create that calming atmosphere you're craving in your bedroom.
Components of a Japanese Bed Frame
To find the perfect Japanese style bed, you need to find a platform design that has a few key characteristics. In my view, there's three major factors that go into creating the aura of traditional Japanese styling:
Low Profile Design
First, a hallmark of a truly beautiful Japanese bed should be very low profile motif. The Japanese culture and history features numerous activities that happen lower than us Americans are used to! From dining to sleeping, Japanese style skews low to the ground.
Akita fits the bill perfectly! With a frame and side rails measuring just 7-inches high, and Akita's slat support system nestled two inches lower, your mattress sits a low 5-inch lift from the floor.
If you've lived in Japan for any period of time, you're probably familiar with sleeping on the floor. I think Akita is about as close as you can get to a Japanese style bed frame, without going full tatami!
Complete Wrap-Around Frame
Second, since I mentioned tatami (coincidence? I think not!), you need to consider the aesthetic of the platform. In classic Japanese style, you would sleep on a tatami mat laid on the floor. If you're anything like me, the floor just isn't a viable option! Americans, generally, are pretty set on sleeping on a mattress.
Instead, you can achieve the look of tatami - specifically, a low flat sleeping surface surrounded by wood. How? If you go with a platform bed that has wide rails and footboard, you can create that sense of "mattress on floor zen" without... you know, actually sleeping on the floor!
And here, again, Akita offers you the perfect solution! Akita's chunky frame and floating-affect design combine with wide built-in nightstands. The end result almost makes it appear as if your mattress is inset into wood flooring! Add in a low-profile mattress, and your dreams up creating a zen hideaway are complete!
Natural Materials and Colors
The last element of finding the perfect Japanese platform is going natural. A true Japanese bed would take inspiration from subdued natural finishes, and avoid flashier materials like steel.
The Akita Bed is available in a variety of upscale designer finish combinations paired specifically to transform your bedroom into a natural retreat:
• Espresso & White - A deep espresso brown wood veneer contrasts in stunning fashion with the white vegan-leather headboards. This look is clean and contemporary.
• Walnut & White - Paired in the golden warmth of walnut wood veneer with contrasting white will give your bedroom a classic look you'll love for years!
• Gray Oak & White - Go for a more grayscale approach and let the Gray Oak wood veneer pair with white vegan-leather. The gray and white combination is a trendier take on contrasts.
• Espresso & Gray - Considering all natural tones? Espresso and gray blends two soothing hues into a combination of veneer and vegan-leather you're going to love!
• Jacobean & Oatmeal - A high-end combination of finishes, the Akita in dark Walnut and Oatmeal is a striking blend of modern natural hues that will have you feeling like you're dozing off in a bamboo forest.
• Beech & Charcoal - The last of our designer finishes, a soothing beech veneer contrasts with charcoal gray vegan leather headboards. This pairing blends Japanese lines with Danish design hues for a look that's upscale and fresh.
After you find the color combination that compliments your bedroom, the final step is to simply choose the size! Akita is available in your favorite standard sizes, so there's no need to hunt down a new mattress. The above color combinations are available in your choice of Queen, (Eastern) King and California King.
Finding the perfect Japanese bed for your bedroom, while trying to achieve a blend of zen and comfort, requires taking into account a few key elements. Primarily, you should look for a bed that appears to meld with the floor. That means choosing a bed with a very low-profile design, combined with a sturdy, wide frame and side rails.
Lastly, most Japanese design favors natural elements and materials: woods, linens, leathers and subdued hues.
Our Akita Bed hits the trifecta. Akita offers you the best combination of those elements making it the ultimate Japanese Bed for your home!
posted on 12/13/2018